Sunday, October 14, 2012

Who's BAD? 25 years later...


Who’s Bad?

Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a huge follower of Michael Jackson and The Jackson 5.  I prefer the Motown days, however I still keep my ear to the street, post-Motown.  Since Michael’s passing, Sony and Motown have released 10 albums each, special editions and unreleased material.  I definitely see the competitive cycle continuing until they run out of music.  Who’ll win?  Who’s bad?  The question still remains…

Sony has taken the liberty to re-package and re-release Michael Jackson’s BAD 25 LP as of September 18, 2012 to commemorate its 25th anniversary.  August 31, 1987 was a day I’ll never forget; it was my birthday and MJ’s new album dropped, BAD.  My dad walked in and gave it to me; I looked at the cover and was a bit shocked at MJ’s appearance, the shock lasted no more than thirty seconds, I needed to hear the music.  We already saw the premier of BAD, the video, which I liked, however the song wasn’t something I was compelled to sing.  After spending a little less than an hour listening to the album, I wasn’t too impressed, I liked it, but it didn’t compare to Thriller, MJ’s juggernaut!  Nevertheless, it remains a classic and a multi-platinum seller.

So, what do we have to look forward to behind the BAD 25 release?  Well, a 4 disc deluxe edition, which includes the original album, a disc of unreleased material, a live recording of MJ’s concert at Wembley Stadium in 1988 and finally a live DVD of his concert at Wimbley Stadium in 1988, a huge bonus for fans! To top it all off, legendary film director, Spike Lee has prepared a documentary celebrating 25 years of the release of the BAD lp.  Spike has been granted access to unreleased footage and will let us into MJ’s world during that time.  The documentary is scheduled to air Thanksgiving Day and I can’t wait.  I wonder if we’ll be able to answer the question, “who’s bad”...

References


No comments:

Post a Comment