Sunday, January 27, 2013

Suit & Tie…J.T. meets Jay-Z


Suit & Tie…J.T. meets Jay-Z

Justin Timberlake has proven himself to be relevant and although he’s been away from music for quite some time, he knows how to slip back in as if he hasn’t been gone.  We all remember Justin when he was with N’Sync and enjoyed their high-energy act, dance moves, and their ability to make a few R&B like tracks.  I can tell Justin knows the formula of bouncing back into relevancy. 

The new song “Suit & Tie” is a nice bouncing track, mellow, r&b horn section with a twist of Jay-Z.  In my opinion the song is a good intro to the forthcoming album “The 20/20 Experience” and currently is # 4 on the Billboard charts in less than two weeks.  Can you say, FIRE! The track is definitely on pace to get to the #1 position to knock out “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. 

Being the talk of the industry is nothing new to Justin and it’s well deserved.  He’s clean cut, recently married to a well know actress, Jennifer Biel and has plenty of platinum recordings to line a long corridor.  People are talking about Justin’s video for “Suit & Tie”, which is a black and white video dressed for success.  It’s easy to see the influence in Justin’s style, the white socks, Michael Jackson, although say may argue Elvis.  He emotes a few “awws” within the song, which suggest Marvin Gaye to those who know Marvin’s music.  A couple of surprises for the die-hard fans, there’s no dancing and no Jay-Z.  The video doesn’t call for an appearance by Jay-Z, but hasn’t Jay-Z made the suit and tie a staple in hip-hop long before Justin’s song.  Hmmm..Empire State of Mind comes to mind and that was in 2009.  No big deal, Justin knows the dressed up look is an eye catcher.  Nevertheless Justin’s people want us to remember his biggest influence, Michael Jackson that’s evident by the numerous camera shots at his white socks and shiny black shoes.  It’s all good Justin, keep doin’ your thing.

Respectfully,

ADW

References:



2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam! I really enjoyed reading this blog. I am really into Jay-Z. He is really one of my favorite rap artists of all time. I really love his music because his words speaks volumes and are logical to me. I can remember when I first moved to Florida and when his CD American gangster came out. That by far is my favorite CD. Suit and Tie is great though! Thanks for incorporating the fact that Jay- Z has influenced more than what people make it out to be. I haven't seen the video yet but you definitely made it sound pretty cool so i think I will be checking that out tonight! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam. Meant to post this to the Discussion Board in class but will go ahead and post here. Excellent choice of Viral Video with the Nicki Bluhm "van sessions" cover. I think you're right what a great way for a band to get the word out that they are on the road and super talented. As for myself, I'm all about the viral videos and have been making them since the dial-up days. I would consider viral videos a must for any marketing campaign as we recently created some for a feature film comedy we were developing called Full-Time Ninjas where we protested a Pirate Festival dressed like ninjas. You can view that video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHJdve7GNuE

    As for tips on your blog, I think you have a unique and professional POV on the industry I just think you need to bring it out more so viewers know where you are coming from. Music 2 My Ears is cool, but fairly broad. Have you considered re-titling it something that speaks more to our unique views or where you are at in life? Make people feel invested in you and your journey? I would also consider adding more photos and video to the actual posts as that always breaks up the text. A photo and brief bio of yourself wouldn't hur either! With a little TLC I think you could have a really cool blog that reflects some of your thoughts in an entertaining and professional way. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete